Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Living in the USA

My life is changing a lot since I moved to America from my country, Indonesia. Actually many new things I have been learning in here. Firstly, about language and culture: this is very different from my native country. In the US people is more free to speak their taught or opinion. Before I came here, I heard that some people in the US are racist; however I don’t feel that especially in California. There is many people came from different nations around the world and they’re respect one and each other. I get a new experience not only in the language and the culture, but also in my habit. In my country, I used to depend on other person to finish it my job for example cleaning a room, washing dress, or cooking food. But in here I must do everything by myself, so I have to manage between school and daily works. Secondly, adjustment is in the school. Before I study in ALP, I studied in college in Houston and then I studied TOEFL in language course. The fact that I found interesting is the way teachers teach student which is a little bit different, they’re more communicative to students, and they give a lot of homework. However, I think is helpful for students to improve their skills. Finally I can say that living in America is not only interesting because I have learn many new things, but also challenging because I have targets that I have to reach in the future.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

I agree with your thinking in the U.S. in many ways. I was not used to express my opinion directly, when I came here. So far, I have met many good people here, and learning a lot of things from them. It is interesting to meet someone who has diverse background. I am learning how to manage time between school and other works, but I can’t like cooking anyways! I hope we are doing well here, and accomplish our goals.

Shuai said...

When I first come to America, I thought that my relatives can help me do all the things and what I need to do is just waiting for the result. But now, I find that I was wrong. Since we choose to come to America, a new country, we need to try to do everything by ourselves, which can really help strengthen our abilities to do anything. So, I think Marvin, you are good, you live along while you can make everything in control, I will learn from you and try to solve all the problems by myself. Because we are now in America, we should be more independent. Let's go!

Vinka said...

Yes Marvin, I agree with you. In the US I feel that everything must be done by myself, it is different with our home country. But I think it is a good improvement and make us be an autonomous person in this country. Thanks for your ride until now. Fight for your goal!

GBU